Skip to main content

Weekly Road Trip, Volume 1

Every Tuesday, I drive down to Los Angeles from Ventura. More specifically, I head to Barney's Beanery in West Hollywood to host Trivia (9pm. Come check it out sometime!). After, I usually head to my good friend's home (that would be Pete & Cate) and enjoy a few hours hanging out with some of my very great, gracious and generous friends.

The trip is 60 miles, each way. That gives me about 2 hours each Tuesday to listen to whatever music I have on my ipod. I have an 8GB so I tend to rotate music off and on it frequently. Recently, as suggested by my love, Emily, I listened to the entire ipod, alphabetized by song. That guaranteed I actually hear each song at least once. I highly recommend doing this.

The only rules are:
1. No skipping any tracks
2. No repeating any tracks.

It took me a few months to get through my ipod, from A to $64,000 (the last song was the theme song to the $64,000 Question). Since then, I have swapped out a lot of songs for new music. I am taking a break from the alphabetized list back to shuffle.

This brings me to the meaning of this new post: I was enjoying the music on the way home Tuesday night. I kept thinking of other people that may like certain songs. Then, the idea hit of posting the playlist my ipod shuffled to me on the ride home. So, that's what's happening here.

Below, I list the songs - in order - that I listened to from L.A. back to Ventura. Hopefully, if anyone reads this, you will enjoy a few of them.

1. Forever Man - Eric Clapton
This is from my "Complete Clapton" collection. A fairly big hit, so you have probably heard it.

2. I Can See Clearly Now - Johnny Nash
Again, you have probably heard this one.

3. The Tra La La Song (One Banana, Two Banana) - Liz Phair with Material Issue 
From Saturday Morning Cartoons' Greatest Hits. Covers of Cartoon songs by 1990s artists. This one, from The Banana Splits Show.

4. The Grid - Daft Punk featuring Jeff Bridges
From the score of Tron: Legacy. I saw the 3D IMAX version and dug it.

5. Ready Steady Go (Remix) - Paul Oakenfold
Mine is from the soundtrack of the movie, Collateral. It's the scene in the Asian club where all hell breaks loose. Good movie. Check it out.

6. Bomber Run (Unused Material) - Elmer Bernstein
Another movie score. This one, from the movie, Heavy Metal. I acquired an extended score/soundtrack. I still love Heavy Metal. I do wonder if that live version remake is going to happen. David Fincher is all over it, but who knows.

7. It Could Have Been a Brilliant Career - Belle & Sebastian
Yes, that "sad bastard" band, referred to by Barry (Jack Black) in High Fidelity. B&S always feels like a band I really shouldn't like, but I do. Good harmonies. Jangly music. Scottish Octet. Why not?

8. Mah Na Mah Na - The Muppets 
I dare you to not think of this song the next time you hear or read the word "phenomena". See, you just put that together, didn't you?

9. Any Day Will Do Fine - Michael Kiwanuka
He's a fairly new soul/R&B singer from England. Most of the songs of his are the slower, introspective kind of soul, rather than the pleading, heart-bursting, soul someone like Otis Redding.

10. Buzz Saw - The Steps
I got this from a collection called G.I. Funk - 14 Vietnam Wartime Funky Club Hits. This is a compilation of music with some really nice stuff, and a few duds. The version they have of "Coming Home Baby" by Madam Laos In House Showgirl Band is like sipping Hot Cocoa in front of a fire during a snowstorm.

11. (We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock - Bill Haley and His Comets
C'mon, you gotta know this all-time classic!

12. I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones 
See previous description

13. Let Me Down Easy - Roger Daltrey
From one of his best solo LPs "Under a Raging Moon", this one was a mild hit back in the mid 1980s. CHALLENGE: Listen to that song and - remembering it was recorded in the mid-1980s - Can you tell me who wrote that song?

14. I'll Be There for You - The Rembrandts
Yep, no one told me life was gonna be this way (CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP).

15. Megattera - Sandro Brugnolini
This is from a compilation of 1960's Italian psychadelic library music called Flipper Psychout. Nuff said.

16. Faithful - Asia
Yes, THAT Asia. The "Heat of the Moment" Asia. Faithful is on their most recent release, "XXX". It's their 30th anniversary, get it? Remember the lyric, "And now you find yourself in 82"? Feel old yet? Well, this one is pretty good, but I feel like the vocals could have been better produced.

17. The Night Before - The Beatles
From the LP and movie, "Help".
Pre-psychedelics, pre-pot, and pre-Yoko.

18. Use Me - Isaac Hayes
From the Live at the Sahara Tahoe 1973.  A very groovy cover of the Bill Withers classic.

So, there you have it. Let me know if you like this. I think I will do more.

 Later

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saturday, July 12 2008 - My night went a little something like this:

* before you get into the post below, just know that I've been up for hours working on it and for some reason, there were problems with almost every video I tried to embed. Some I could change to a link, some wouldn't. I will try editing later, but for now, here's what I have: First, I pick up my wonderful girlfriend, Jenny and we head over to the Pauley Pavillion at UCLA . We got to see VH1 Rock Honors The WHO . We arrived around 7:30 for an 8pm show. We found our seats (which were up high, but it's a smaller venue and I couldn't really shell out $300/ticket) and soon after, the announcement came over the P.A.: "Ladies and Gentlemen, please take your seats. The show will begin in 3 minutes. Sure enough, three minutes later, The video montage starts up on the monitors. Quick shots of a myriad of Who fans describing why The Who is the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World . Dave Navarro, Slash , Joan Jett , Cameron Crowe , Harry Shearer , Billy Bob T

The 44 Year Old Cynic

SO, it's my best friend's birthday. Scott Holme (a.k.a. Cynic The Infotainer ) is now in the Year of the Magnum (that means 44). We're gonna be bowling and drinking and whoopin' it up, as it were. I wasn't sure what else to put here. Then I found this birthday video from Sarah Silverman to Jimmy Kimmel, so here it is: Happy Birthday, Holme-Slice!

MY Awards for the Oscars

Ok , here's how this goes: I'm giving either a Pat on the Back for something I liked or a Flick of the Ear (using my middle finger) to something I didn't like... A Pat on the Back goes to... Jon Stewart, for doing a good job as host, with a clever monologue, funny intros (Tom Hanks won twice and now has no right to be here) and my favorite montage of all time, the Oscar Tribute to Binoculars and Periscopes . A Flick of the Ear goes to... Jon Stewart, for including the Barack Hussein Obama material in his monologue. Coulter , Limbaugh, Hannity and every other right-wing douchebag emphasizes Obama's middle name. I understand it was a set up for a joke but the right-wing pundits are jokes themselves, so I saw no need to pile on (Although, " Gaydolph Titler " cracked me up). A Pat on the Back goes to... Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova for their performance and winning the Academy Award for the song, "Falling Slowly" from