Skip to main content

Thoughts (and a few pictures) on the Anti-War March in Los Angeles, 3.15.08






So, a group of about 12 of us took a stroll down Hollywood Blvd. on Saturday to protest the war. We started at Scott and Paul's place for some pre-march activities, then walked down to the Metro. Got off at Hollywood/Vine - where the march started - and showed our support for getting the USA out of this ridiculous quagmire of a catastrophe douchebags call the War on Terror (which, as we all know, is stupid because you can't declare a war on a strategy). It was quite a turn out. We walked west on Hollywood, took a left on Schraeder, then another left on Sunset. Ended up in front of the CNN building on Sunset/Cahuenga. There was a stage set up for several speakers, including Mike (B.J. Hunnicut) Farrell and Ron (Born on the Fourth of July) Kovic. It was difficult to hear the speakers as we were not really close enough to the stage, but I think I got the gist of what was being said. Stuff I already know but have no problem hearing again. This war is a strain on the country. Bush/Cheney are war criminals. We want our country back. I kept thinking a couple of things:
1. Next time I see a long march/protest, I will understand that the first few hundred people will know what's really happening and the rest will be in small groups talking, taking pictures, and asking, "What did they say?".
2. Although I am proud to use my time to go down and show support for what I believe in, I really got a feeling of are-we-really-going-to-change-anything? I know that seems cynical, and in no way am I advocating that the marches stop, but I just kept thinking, Do Bush and Cheney really give a shit? Why - now - would they listen? they have proven over and over again that they do not care about America or Americans that make below a certain level of income, so is it worth it to march?

I think yes it is, because it is a way for all of us as Americans to show each other that we need real change in this country. Maybe this will add to the feeling that many have that there are people out there willing to speak out, even if it is to deaf (and in Bush's case) stupid ears.

You know, I'm just gonna say it: George W. Bush is a real son-of-a-bitch. Today, he felt it more important to bail out an investment firm than to help regular citizens in the housing crisis. He's not even pretending to care anymore. I really hope we see some true justice in regards to him and Cheney. By that, I mean that they will answer for what they've done to the USA. 4000 of our troops dead; thousands more injured, both physically and mentally. Our economy is in the toilet, unless you make millions off of others.

George W. Bush should have to answer for what he's done to ruin many aspects of this country. Him, Cheney, Rove, Rumsfeld, Gonzalez, and all the right-wing douchebags that continue to support them (and you know who I mean). When are we going to get America back?

Here's 3 more things in which they should be held accountable:


I watched the first 2 episodes of John Adams on HBO last night. I highly recommend it. You can see things in that mini-series that have relevance in today's political climate. People need to stand up more to show they won't be abused by their "leaders" like they have been - in particular, these last 8 years. Why do they get to get away with it? Money. Money trumps everything in this country. Money trumps justice, honor, dignity, truth, and honesty. That's not what this country was built on, what it is meant to symbolize and what this country stands for. Hopefully, these evil butchers of democracy will see what America used to stand for and pay for their actions.

Just in case, I in now way, shape or form mean that anything should physically happen to anyone I mentioned. I only hope that we return to Justice in the USA and those that have wiped their collective asses with the Constitution and our rights will receive due process, as well as some stiff fines, because they'll never go to prison, and we all know it'll be a better punishment if their wallets are hit HARD.

"Whatever-you-believe" Bless America

Now, I'm gonna watch Caddyshack. That outta cheer me up. I know I'M ALRIGHT!

Comments

Lucky said…
I have been to many protest marches in my life and have come to much the same conclusion you have from the one you write about. The protests are more for those of us who dissent. It is good for us to gather and see that there are many of us, that ourselves are not alone in seeing and being outraged by the madness of war, especially when it is being waged by our country! It is good for those who didn't go to see on tv or the internet that lots of folks gathered to protest, it lets them know they are not alone in their feelings. But do Bush and Cheney care about protest marchers? Hell no! We won't change their twisted minds or souls.
It still comes down to what we all do as indidviduals, dammit!
So as far as everything your blog says, I just gotta say
Roger that!
Blessings can come from all over the place, which I believe, is a good thing!
Peace!
Anonymous said…
Hear hear!

"John Adams" was rad, I recommend it too, even though the guy playing Thomas Jefferson reminded me of a cagey, creepy version of David Sylvian (noooooo!).

Well said Monsieur Berson. The right to assemble peaceably is one we are free to indulge or abstain from, but either way, it must be preserved against all odds. Dissent is what built this thing we're standing on, and it's the only thing that can restore what we've lost.

Cheers!
toomanyjennys said…
All I have to say is I think my hand looks awesome.

Not deep enough I'm sure. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Saturday, July 12 2008 - My night went a little something like this:

* before you get into the post below, just know that I've been up for hours working on it and for some reason, there were problems with almost every video I tried to embed. Some I could change to a link, some wouldn't. I will try editing later, but for now, here's what I have: First, I pick up my wonderful girlfriend, Jenny and we head over to the Pauley Pavillion at UCLA . We got to see VH1 Rock Honors The WHO . We arrived around 7:30 for an 8pm show. We found our seats (which were up high, but it's a smaller venue and I couldn't really shell out $300/ticket) and soon after, the announcement came over the P.A.: "Ladies and Gentlemen, please take your seats. The show will begin in 3 minutes. Sure enough, three minutes later, The video montage starts up on the monitors. Quick shots of a myriad of Who fans describing why The Who is the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World . Dave Navarro, Slash , Joan Jett , Cameron Crowe , Harry Shearer , Billy Bob T

MY Awards for the Oscars

Ok , here's how this goes: I'm giving either a Pat on the Back for something I liked or a Flick of the Ear (using my middle finger) to something I didn't like... A Pat on the Back goes to... Jon Stewart, for doing a good job as host, with a clever monologue, funny intros (Tom Hanks won twice and now has no right to be here) and my favorite montage of all time, the Oscar Tribute to Binoculars and Periscopes . A Flick of the Ear goes to... Jon Stewart, for including the Barack Hussein Obama material in his monologue. Coulter , Limbaugh, Hannity and every other right-wing douchebag emphasizes Obama's middle name. I understand it was a set up for a joke but the right-wing pundits are jokes themselves, so I saw no need to pile on (Although, " Gaydolph Titler " cracked me up). A Pat on the Back goes to... Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova for their performance and winning the Academy Award for the song, "Falling Slowly" from

The 44 Year Old Cynic

SO, it's my best friend's birthday. Scott Holme (a.k.a. Cynic The Infotainer ) is now in the Year of the Magnum (that means 44). We're gonna be bowling and drinking and whoopin' it up, as it were. I wasn't sure what else to put here. Then I found this birthday video from Sarah Silverman to Jimmy Kimmel, so here it is: Happy Birthday, Holme-Slice!