Skip to main content

How I Did It: Confessions of an Ex-Cigarette Smoker

A lot of what I remember about this, I do because I was keeping a quasi-journal at the time. It was in a blue-covered, college-ruled, single subject notebook I'm sure I initially bought for a different purpose.



Early morning. 
November 19, 2005. 



I may have overslept. I remember feeling rushed until I got into the car. Since I packed the night before, I must have overslept. 

Ashley West Leonard gave me a ride to Burbank Airport. I was heading to Minneapolis, MN for Thanksgiving at my sister’s house. I was able to visit with them for a full week. Since I was never the wake-up-and-smoke-a-cigarette-before-everything type, I hadn’t had one before the flight. I got to my sister’s and remembered that Beverly (my sister) had quit cigarettes a few years before. I think her husband, Dan did likewise. 

I didn’t want to smoke or smell like cigarettes around my nieces, Rebecca Ryweck and Rachel Ryweck. Also, it was November in Minnesota, so, you know…it was cold outside.
We spent the daytime running around various malls and stores. The evenings were for restaurants or turkey leftovers. In all that time, I was so busy, I only had an occasional thought about having a cigarette. I still didn’t want to smell like smoke around the family.



CUT TO:
INTERIOR: SISTER’S HOUSE – KITCHEN TABLE - EVENING
Michael and his brother-in-law, Dan are sitting at the table. They are just hanging out and talking about nothing in particular.

DAN
Hey, you smoke, right?

ME
Yeah.

DAN
I haven’t really seen you with a cigarette since you got here.

ME
Well, I didn’t want to smoke around you guys.

DAN
So, when was the last time you had a smoke?

ME
Honestly? At my apartment the night before I flew here.

DAN
Really? You know, they say the first three days without a cigarette are the hardest. You got here five days ago. Why don’t you see how long you can go without another one?

ME
Yeah. Maybe I’ll do that.

CUT TO:
INTERIOR: MICHAEL’S BEDROOM
Michael is at his desk, typing a blog about how he quit smoking 12 years ago.



So, there you have it. I unintentionally quit because I went someplace for a week where I found enough personal restrictions to not smoke a cigarette.

I think I have had somewhere between 2-4 instances where I felt I could “go for a smoke”, but that never lasted long enough to make me act upon it.

As for smoking other things…well, let’s just say, if you are ever in Las Vegas and are looking for something else to smoke, stop by Oasis Cannabis. I’m usually there 6am – 2:30pm, Monday through Friday (although, they’re open 24/7).


Thanks for reading. Feel free to peruse other blogs here, though they are older, I tried to make them entertaining.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Road Trip, Volume 1

Every Tuesday, I drive down to Los Angeles from Ventura. More specifically, I head to Barney's Beanery in West Hollywood to host Trivia (9pm. Come check it out sometime!). After, I usually head to my good friend's home (that would be Pete & Cate) and enjoy a few hours hanging out with some of my very great, gracious and generous friends. The trip is 60 miles, each way. That gives me about 2 hours each Tuesday to listen to whatever music I have on my ipod. I have an 8GB so I tend to rotate music off and on it frequently. Recently, as suggested by my love, Emily, I listened to the entire ipod, alphabetized by song. That guaranteed I actually hear each song at least once. I highly recommend doing this. The only rules are: 1. No skipping any tracks 2. No repeating any tracks. It took me a few months to get through my ipod, from A to $64,000 (the last song was the theme song to the $64,000 Question). Since then, I have swapped out a lot of songs for new music. ...

Saturday, July 12 2008 - My night went a little something like this:

* before you get into the post below, just know that I've been up for hours working on it and for some reason, there were problems with almost every video I tried to embed. Some I could change to a link, some wouldn't. I will try editing later, but for now, here's what I have: First, I pick up my wonderful girlfriend, Jenny and we head over to the Pauley Pavillion at UCLA . We got to see VH1 Rock Honors The WHO . We arrived around 7:30 for an 8pm show. We found our seats (which were up high, but it's a smaller venue and I couldn't really shell out $300/ticket) and soon after, the announcement came over the P.A.: "Ladies and Gentlemen, please take your seats. The show will begin in 3 minutes. Sure enough, three minutes later, The video montage starts up on the monitors. Quick shots of a myriad of Who fans describing why The Who is the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World . Dave Navarro, Slash , Joan Jett , Cameron Crowe , Harry Shearer , Billy Bob T...

"The Danksgiving Challenge"

For those of you that indulge in "herbal delights", here is a game I came up with at work today. I call it... "The Danksgiving Challenge" 1. Gather all of your friends and family around the Thanksgiving table around 10-15 minutes before serving begins. 2. Pass around your choice of pre-rolls (joints), pipes, bongs or whatever. Just so everyone gets at least a couple of really strong hits. 3. Serve dinner. Make sure everyone eats a lot of turkey. So far, pretty easy, yes? Well, now, here's the challenge: With the combination of THC and tryptophan in everyone's systems, the last person to doze off gets an extra piece of pumpkin pie! Happy Thanksgiving! Oh, and you're welcome.